Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lift me up ...

I sit here tonight full of so many emotions. If I wasn't surrounded by the sounds of giggling children hooting and hi-fiving during a game of SORRY, I am sure I would let the tears flow freely. Having spent so much time, energy, determination (and money) putting together a SU Open House which was (to say the least) unsuccessful robs me of confidence and leaves behind its mark of failure.
I have been told all my life that I am a "people person". I have a bubbly personality and seem to contact with almost anyone. I give freely - of more than just "things". I believe in treating others with respect. So why, I ask, do I feel so jolted? I can't believe that I had only four people show up to my open house - my stepmother, my friend Sandy and her mom and another friend from down the road. We played around and I showed them how to make a card using the Delightful Decorations and matching punch, some Halloween treat bags, some envelope bags and little envelope cards which hold a small treat (I used mini bags of M&M's). I ended up with only one order ($35) and a possible booking. I don't know how else to make connections. I've advertised, sent newsletters, left catalogs at offices, hung flyers ... if only I could make one connection!



"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow,
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit."

5 comments:

Marie said...

Oh Sam, I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I was there to give you a huge hug. Love you tons!

JustNeedling said...

So sorry of the unsuccessful open house. The make n' takes are great! I know how you feel but keep on keeping on.

I had my open house on Friday and I had 3 people showed up. One of them was my sister. I'm very thankful she's there every time at my open house to support me. She was with me since day one and my best customer. I did got some orders which was great!

shortywithastory said...

Sam, So sorry to hear about your open house. Keep your head up! My open houses and turn out for crops are usually small too, but that just means I've been able to get closer to those who do come. Lasting friendships are forged this way. Follow up on your booking, keep positive and it will happen! Sending some CO good wishes your way!

* Shell B.* said...

Hey Sammie, so sorry that your event was a bust. Maybe it's just the economy?

Wish I could of come, looks like you had lots of fun items to make.......please remember it was their loss of not making it to your event.

Hugs Shell~Alaska
SBS28

Sharon Field / Inky A*Muse-ment said...

Oh Sammie... next time will be better.. Your projects were beautiful, wish I could have hopped on a jet and come to play!