Sunday, May 9, 2010

In this world it is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.

I remember growing up and feeling emotions that were so conflicting.  I knew the sacrifices that my mother made raising six children alone.  Still, I was pained with jealousy of not fitting in.  I didn't have the name brand clothes or money in my pocket.  I felt jilted and at times even angry.  It wasn't until I became a Mother myself that I truly understood sacrifice.  I realized that my mother may not have given me material things but she gave me a heart filled with unconditional love.  I would not be the person I am today without her guidance and acceptance - her unconditional love.  People tell me that they are amazed at my giving heart and how they can't believe how I "do it all".  What they don't understand is that my zest to love everyone and my need to help everyone is my mother speaking through me.  This past year my mother became ill and called me to come over and call an ambulance for her.  She was having difficulty breathing.  As I watched the ambulance pull away from her driveway I knew that I could not move forward should she not return home with me.  She did have an overnight stay at the hospital and returned home on Oxygen.  I dared not leave her side in fear of losing her.  I know that the Lord blessed me when he gave me her as my mother and that the trials He put us through were so we could truly understand and communicate our love for one another.  My mother is my best friend, my confidante, my lifeline.  I honor her today and every day! 

4 comments:

Cynthia Ferenz said...

God bless her and keep her well!She sounds like a wonderful person. I just lost my mother unexpectedly On Jan. 1st and while I had a nice Mother's Day without my boys (both in the Army - one in KS one in Iraq) I had a few tough patches when I would think about the fact that I would not be calling her or her calling me to say "Happy Mother's Day". Her sister called me to do so and needless to say, I broke down after that call. Your description of your mother reminds be so much of my mother. The one thing that was repeated time and again by everyone was "Your mother always showed unconditional love to all and taught me to love everyone unconditionally" and she did once she met you , you were a part of the family. She loved everyone and everyone that ever met her loved her. I miss her so much. Treasure all the time you have left with your mother as it is precious. I didn't get to spend as much with mine as I would have liked to as she was in TX and I am in VA, but I still have a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Cynthia Ferenz
Proud Parent of 2 Soldiers

Carol L said...

What a wonderful, special, and loving tribute you've paid to your Mother! She must be so proud of you for the Mom you are today!
Thanks for visiting and leaving such sweet comments on my blog :)

Scrappywonder said...

hang in there girlfriend... will email you tomorrow.. R ;)

Jane Giggy said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother! She has give you so many riches not in dollars but in wisdon, love and unconditioanl love. You are truely blessed and so is your mother to have a daughter like you.
My mother died 2 years ago this August. She was 87. We were so close. She was such a wonderful mother to me and my brothers. Unconditonal love would describe my mother as well. As a mother of three grown children and 7 grandchildren, I strive to be a mother and grandmother like my mother was.
God Bless
Jane Giggy